Chapter 5- Custom Packaging inserts & dividers- Care for your products while shipping and storage
You may need inserts for packaging, to secure products in position, to add extra protection to products, and add more feelings to a packaging. All kinds inserts can be custom shaped, you need to know insert structure same as box structure in chapter 2, hire someone to think about it or as your manufacturer. Common packaging inserts are listed below:
- Cardboard inserts
- Foam inserts
- Blister inserts
- Paper pulp insert
You can also check our previous article Packaging Insert Options Guidance. Depends on your purpose of the insert, select the best insert for your packagings. Let’s talk one by one, in order to give you a basic knowledge on each.
Made from corrugated fiberboard or paperboard or rigid cardboard. cut to shape, folding up to fit into the box or just a cut board. The insert can also be printed, the same color as the custom box. It is economic, but hard to give a luxury feeling. Cardboard inserts add extra protection to products, make the packaging far more protective.
There are EVA foam inserts, EPE foam inserts, PU foam inserts, and EPS foam inserts.
EVA foam is high density, can be white/black/grey color or custom color with high MOQ, mostly used as watch packaging inserts, jewel packaging inserts, tooling packaging inserts, luxury packaging inserts, and electronic device packaging inserts.
EPE foam is cheaper than EVA, it also performs well in protecting products in cartons. Have different grades of density, with white/black color generally. EPE foam can’t be straight cut in thickness more than 10cm, if more than this thickness of your foam, you need to consider glue it with several layers.
PU foam is soft and porous, for light products packaging, we suggest PU foam. For example, playing card packaging box insert with PU foam insert. (black, white color in stock for every supplier)
EPS foam is always being used in big home application products packaging, can load heavy items and cheap. But it’s easy to be separated into pieces, not eco-friendly.
Did I forget to mention you that every foam inserts can laminate with fabrics onto? it adds extra beautiful feeling to your packagings.
Blister inserts trays made from plastic, in a solid color or transparent. Generally have transparent color, milk white color, black color and other custom colors. They are able to be shaped, to fit your products. You need to prepare a 3D design file for your manufacturer or get products to them to make a mold. Most retail sales packaging have this blister. Such as phone case packaging box, earphone packaging box, and chocolate packaging box. Some people may use the blister directly as outer box, just insert a paperboard back to the blister, then it’s a small display case.
Eco-friendly material, made from recycled cardboard, newspaper pulp. can be used as fresh products, for example, egg packaging box inserts, some electronic products also apply this kind of inserts. It’s rigid enough to hold heavy items. The disadvantage is can’t be printed and seems not high-standard.
Insert Design Guidance
Design an insert is not complex in material and printing as box design does, but it is more complicated in structure than box design. Follow below guidance, check with your idea.
- Size of the single insert section, and how many sections need to be cut in one insert?
- Make sure you select a correct material which is suitable for your cut design. For example, EPE foam can’t be cut with un-straight shape, need to be cut from top to bottom foam. You need to confirm this with your supplier first.
- Make sure insert after folded up fit the size of a box.
- If you want to insert color in coordinate with box color? If your box is a special color, just laminate a printed fabric onto the foam or just a printed paperboard.
- About the file of design: If your insert is simple to be cut, just make a 2D flat design, confirm with your manufacturer. If your design is complex, you maybe need to create a 3D file for better understanding. Chinese foam suppliers more likely to accept the .stp file can be opened in any software.