What is Shelf Ready Packaging
Shelf-ready packaging is a type of retail packaging that is modified from regular cardboard boxes. Walmart was the first to propose this concept of Shelf Ready Packaging (SRP packaging) to reduce costs on packaging and time spent folding up a box. As the name suggests, its function is to receive the packaging box, and it is ready to be placed on the shelf for display and sale.
Shelf-ready packaging (SRP) refers to the preparation of a product so that it is delivered to a retailer in a ready-to-sell merchandised unit. Products that come in SRP can be easily placed on the shelf without the need for unpacking or repacking. SRP covers all types of packaging designed for the retail outlet. Shelf-ready packaging includes sales support mechanisms in all major distribution channels; “Retail-ready packaging” is a term broadly used to summarize the type of packages produced for retailers shelves.
SRP is synonymous with RRP Retail-ready packaging, or PAV (prêt-à-vendre). Wal-Mart refers to them as PDQ (“Pretty Darn Quick”).
Two Kinds of Shelf-Ready Packaging Box
- The box has a perforated cutting line. Prior to being perforated, it is a regular carton box that is shipped to your retailers. Once they open the box along the perforated line, it transforms into a custom display box. This type of box is commonly referred to as a perforated display box.
custom shelf ready boxes
Shelf-ready packaging supplier
retail product packaging
- The box doesn’t have a perforation cutting line, but it has an over-flap head that can be folded to the base of the box to transform it into a display box. We call it a folded display box.
Shelf-ready packaging boxes with perforation line
Advantages of The Shelf-Ready Packaging
Why are they widely used by Walmart and Tesco? The answer is that retail products require fast and convenient packaging!
- Cost savings – Shelf-ready packaging offers two functions in one box, serving as a master packaging box and a shelf display box. Before the introduction of this idea, two individual boxes were needed.
- Quick and easy set-up – It only takes a few seconds to fold the flap or rip off the perforation strip.
- No need to refill products once retailers receive the package, as the products will stay in their designated position. A window is provided for customers to see inside the box.
- Flat shipping – These boxes can be shipped flat, saving storage space and shipping costs. If an auto-glue machine is available, the box can be directly used to pack products.
Design Details of Shelf-Ready Packaging Boxes
We previously discussed paper box and corrugated box perforation, which are essentially the same. When designing a perforated box, it is important to determine where the perforation should begin and where it should fold, so as not to split any logos or artwork into pieces, especially if the display box is intended for promotional purposes. When selecting perforated boxes, it is recommended to add a 2mm line around each dot to ensure easy opening. If you are unsure how to proceed, please contact the Shanghai Box Packing Solutions team for professional assistance.
layout template of shelf ready packaging boxes
samples for shelf-ready packaging